|Here is a pic of the tree outside my office |
window today. Beautiful!
In Alberta, by contrast, autumn can slip by in a heart beat. One minute the leaves are green, then there is a flash of yellow across the countryside, then, in the next moment, the trees are bare. Which means, I think, that Albertans need to celebrate that little yellow window and enjoy it as much as they can.
So, here is my list of 10 things to love about fall in Alberta (Okay, I know some of these aren't exclusive to Alberta):
- Canadian Thanksgiving lands in mid-October... and there is so much to love about Thanksgiving, but particularly family, food and thanks!
- My sister's birthday is in October, and birthdays are one of the occasions we always try to see one another.
- The view from my office window is stunning.
- The farmer's fields are being worked with big combines into tidy little geometric squares. It is quite pretty.
- Snow is settling into the mountains, making them a beautiful sight against the clear blue western skies.
- Hockey has started up again, which means I have more evenings to write! (Okay, perhaps this isn't exclusive to Alberta...) Edits on my upcoming book, Annie's Christmas Plan, are zipping right along (finally)!
- More blankets get added to the bed, so mornings are all cozy and toasty. In the summer, cozy and toasty aren't really "the thing."
- The sun starts appearing later and disappearing earlier, which I freely admit isn't the best thing during the work week, but, on the weekend... awww. Today, for example, it was still dark when I awoke, so I stayed under my cozy, toasty blankets and read a book. It was such a luxury. That doesn't happen as often in the summer because there are always so many things to do once the sun is up.
- Oh, and Pumpkin Spice and Ginger Spice Lattes are back in the coffee shops! Yum, yum, yum! (Again, I know this happens elsewhere, but it really did need a mention!) I'm not sure everyone appreciates how happy this makes me!
- And, this fall, I've had the opportunity to teach my first online class for ARWA, my local writing group. The Social Media for Writers 101 Class has been a lot of fun so far, and we're only a few weeks in!
Okay, your turn, what do you love most about autumn?